Overlapping events

mich pseudoverlighter at zonnet.nl
Sun Jul 29 20:57:35 UTC 2007

Hi Helen,

Have you tried setting up multiple buffers in E-Prime and just playing them
using inline statements? I don’t know if you can actually mix stimuli like
that (that is, if two buffers can be played simultaneously), but it’s worth
a try since the audio in an inline statement only waits as in your event
example below when you actually ask E-Prime to wait for x ms. Consider:

[soundbuff is a 100 ms tone of 1000 hz]

Soundbuff.play()

Debug.print “started at ” + clock.read

Output:

[Some_sound]

Started at 12

[Some_sound continues]

Vs

Soundbuff.play()

Sleep 100

Debug.print “started at ” + clock.read

Output

[Some_sound]

Started at 112

[Some_sound continues]

I don’t actually have E-Prime here, and neither do i have the code of
previous experiments that illustrate it better, but there are a number of
suggestions I should make in order for you to use sound via E-Prime scripts
instead of objects:

-          Try multiple sound buffers

-          Make them as long as the maximum duration

-          Load them when the trial begins but when nothing crucial is
happening (before the onset of a fixation cross, for example)

-          Play them only after you have loaded them

Hope that helps, and let me know if you want specific scripts. Again, I’m
not sure what exactly you want, nor whether this will help, but write to me
at mspape at fsw.leidenuniv.nl if you need help.

Cheers,

Michiel Spapé

Cognitive Psychology Unit