AW: trigger TMS + collect responses during stimulus presentation

B de Haan bianca.de-haan at klinikum.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Jun 19 15:32:29 UTC 2007

Dear Paul,

Many thanks for your answer and excellent advice, it definitely did go a
long way towards solving my problems. However, inevitably, I still have a
problem left.

  _____

<snip>

There are several good arguments for not placing the mainstimulus
preparation and execution inside the first loop. The prefered way would be
to run the mainstimulus object just before the loop. Then use a simplified
loop to generate the trigger pulses that should be generated during the
target. Also use the sleep() instruction inside the loop to specify the
delays for each iteration. You should also place the OnsetSignal
initialisation script somewhere before mainstimulus.run. Also set the
duration and prerelease vaules of mainstimulus to the required duration of
the target.[emphasis added] This will prevent large timing error values for
the following objects.

<snip>

I do not quite understand this part of your advice. I want to be able to
present TMS pulses during presentation of the mainstimulus as well (so some
pulses will occur during the mainstimulus with the first pulse synchronised
at mainstimulus onset and some pulses will occur during the subsequent
response-collecting mainmask2. Mainly the part where you advice me to set
the duration of the mainstimulus to unequal 0 therefore puzzles me. When I
follow that advice, E-prime will not execute the TMS-pulses until the
mainstimulus duration has elapsed.

I ask since I have now still set the duration of the mainstimulus to 0
followed by a TMS-generating loop (akin to the 1 you adviced me to use for
mainmask2) where the TMS-pulses are generated and that terminates when the
target duration has reached. This works, however, as you predict, I find
timing errors for the onset of the mainmask2 and the TMS pulses that occur
during the mainmask2.

Is there any way to generate pulses during presentation of mainstimulus
without creating timing errors for the following objects?

I would be very grateful if you could help me tie up this final loose
string,

Bianca de Haan