Microphone recommendation

Nathan Maxfield ndmaxfield at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 00:02:48 UTC 2007

I've used the E-prime voice key, and one way I've been able to get more
reliable speech reaction times are by using a pre-amp in conjunction with
the voice key.  We had participants name pictures using a carrier phrase
(e.g., "say [picture name]").  We connected the mic to a small preamplifier,
and the preamp to the E-prime voice key.  Before testing, we calibrated each
speaker by asking them to say some examples at their typical speaking
loudness, and we adjusted the pre-amp until we got what we felt were
reliable voice key triggers to the word "say".  We still had some error
during testing (due to coughing, clicks, etc), but the pre-amp and carrier
phrase approach helped to reduce these types of mis-triggers quite a bit.
If you wanted to avoid the carrier phrase, I suppose having a pre-amp and
calibrating each participant beforehand would still help to some extent.

Best,
Nathan Maxfield
University of South Florida
formerly at the CUNY Graduate Center, Doctoral Program in Speech & Hearing
Sciences