Thanks for all the suggestions! (Luck & Vogel task)

Alex Francis francisa at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 25 18:10:11 UTC 2007

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for (pseudo)code for
implementing the Luck & Vogel (1997) visual memory task.

The general consensus seems to be that it's relatively easy to do if
there are a relatively small number of possible locations for the
stimuli (e.g. in a more typical inhibition-of-return type of task
with 8 circularly distributed possible stimulus locations) - just
pick amongst the possible locations, and go from there.

To get something that looks more like the truly random distribution
of locations I was seeking, it's also possible to make these regions
larger than the stimuli they are to contain, and have more of them
than the number of stimuli to be displayed, and then randomly jitter
the location of each stimulus within the region selected for it -
with most regions empty, and the stimuli distributed randomly with
their respective region, the chance of getting two that line up
exactly, either vertically or horizontally, should be quite similar
to that in a truly random distribution. However, even this still
gives a more spread-out, and potentially more grid-like (or
circle-like) distribution than I would like unless the number of
regions is extremely large.

Ultimately, it seems as if allowing for locating any stimulus
anywhere on the screen is best done with brute force randomization
and double-checking for overlaps, re-randomizing when necessary.  If
the stimuli are very small (as these are) there is little chance of
getting stuck permanently in the loop.

I have been greatly aided in this latter endeavor by Candice Morey,
who generously shared the code she used to implement the Luck & Vogel
(1997) task a few years ago, as described in the excellent paper
"When visual and verbal memories compete: Evidence of cross-domain
limits in working memory" (Morey & Cowan, 2004, Psychonomic Bulletin
& Review, 11(2), 296-301).

Thanks,

-alex

   Alexander L. Francis         http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~francisa
   Assistant Professor                          francisA at purdue.edu
   Speech, Language & Hearing Sciences       ofc. +1 (765) 494-3815
   Purdue University                         lab. +1 (765) 494-7553
   500 Oval Drive                            fax. +1 (765) 494-0771
   West Lafayette IN 47907-2038
   USA