Data file output

Paul Jackson paulj at psy.uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 7 20:48:20 UTC 2008

I think the change to binary files in e-prime 2 was a big mistake. It
was done because some email client/server combinations were mangling the
text files.

But on many occasions in the last few years I have had an e-prime file
become corrupted and have been able to fix it by messing with the plain
text. Or if it got too mangled you could at least get out some of the
code and paste it into a new project. Additionally binary files don't
work very well in version tracking systems such as CVS (I guess most
EPrime users don't use these anyway). Text files also allow you to
create manipulation scripts which alter the text and as a result change
the EPrime scripts functionality.

For me this is a major step backwards. I would like to see EPrime 2 have
any option to do text and/or binary versions (set the default in
options). Fixing one minor and rare problem which creates other problems
and/or losses in functionality doesn't make sense to me.

Paul

 Paul R. Jackson

 Experimental Programmer
 School of Psychology