Feedback & automatic commands in a dual-task experiment

ms annh_22 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 18 14:48:21 UTC 2008

This is a dual task experiment and participants first hear a sound
(Task 1) and soon after they see a word on the screen (Task 2). They
have to respond whether the sound is a high or a low tone by pressing
a button for each one of them (Task 1), and whether the word is a word
or a nonword by pressing another button for each one of them (Task
2).
I want in this experiment to give emphasis to Task 1, so I would like
to add a short practice session with a few trials, say 12, before each
block. At the end of this practice session and before each block
begins, participants will be reminded that they should respond fast
enough to Task 1. For example Fast Enough (if they respond within
560ms to Task 1) and Too Slow (if the response is longer than 560ms to
Task 1).
Perhaps it would be good if I could also give them in the same
feedback a percentage of their correct responses, but if it is too
complicated this way, I could leave it out.
To summarize, I would like to add a practice session with 12 trials
before each Block and give participants feedback on how fast or slow
they are in their responses of Task 1 in the practice session.
The probIem is that I have 2 different tones for Task 1 (at 300hz &
900hz), so I am not sure how I could give feedback to the sum of the
trials for Task 1.

Also, I was wondering whether there is a command that automatically
generates the structure of a TrialProc to other blocks, and if so, how
I could disable it. I am making changes on an E-prime template, and
anything I add in a bock is automatically added to rest of the blocks,
but I don't want that. I want the feedback to appear only after each
Practice Block, NOT all Blocks. (I guess there must be in the script a
command that generates automatically everything I try to do). So my
second question is how can I locate that command in the script and
disable it?

I would really appreciate any help.