Mouse input: Problem with defining response areas on screen

Dina deedeevau at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 19:23:20 UTC 2008

Dear E-primers,

I'm stuck with an inline script and I hope there's someone
who is willing to help me with this.

One of the tasks I'm programming in E-prime is the following:

-Consists of 8 main blocks of 12 trials each.

-In addition, there's 1 block with only 3 practice trials.

-On each trial, people have to make a choice between 4 response
alternatives: UpperLeft, UpperRight, BottomLeft, BottomRight. These
locations correspond to an image sub-object in each corner of the
screen.

-At the moment, all the blocks are set on keyboard with 1 (UL), 2
(UR), 3 (BL) and 4(BR) as responses, except for the first block which
I'm trying to switch on mouse-input.

-In the end, I want to change all blocks in mouse-input (at the very
end, I will have to emulate into touch screen mode).

-During the first block only, all four pictures/image sub-objects are
correct (people have to choose their favourite picture); on the rest
of the 7 blocks, only one of the pictures will be correct. I'm
assuming that different inline scripts will be necessary.

Using the script, the programme runs. However, the responses on each
trial are not logged properly (it states: "1" which corresponds to the
left mouse-button click, I assume) and wherever I click on the screen,
I can proceed to the next trial (as opposed to only clicking on the
image sub-objects), so clicks outside the image-sub objects are
accepted as responses.

How can I solve these problems? I would be very grateful if someone
could advice me,
I have to implement this in many other tasks.
Many thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Dina