Complex 2-back

K. Kelly tsupsychprof at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 03:55:53 UTC 2008

Hello,

We are working on a variation of the 2-back (we are modifying the
version posted on the CMU website) in which instead of single letters
appearing on the screen, we have prepared 60 .bmp slides for the
stimuli: 10 different letter groups (e.g., bbb) that appear in 6
different positions (one position per slide).

A critical element of this task is that a target is characterized by
the letter GROUP not the position, so there are always 6 possible
targets. For example, let’s say the slide 2 back was bbb in the top
right corner. There are 6 possible targets: bbb in ANY of the six
locations.

We have correctly programmed it so that it can randomly display non-
target slides. The problem is that it thinks that a 2-back match only
occurs if it is the same letter in the same position. So, it is only
keeping track of and matching individual files of slides rather than
letter groups of slides.

In our current program, the inline object “SetTWOTarget” selects as
the target the single FILE used 2-back. What we want it to do is
select ANY of the 6 files that correspond to the letter group used two
back (e.g., any one of the 6 bbb slides).

We could upload the file for people to check out.  I just don’t know
how to do that.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kiesa