Randomizing the order of text lines on a TextDisplay or Slide

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Nov 10 20:42:51 UTC 2008

Joseph,

>I'm doing an experiment where people see members of categories: for
>each member they see three features, where each feature is a
>sentence. I want to display each feature/sentence on a line, but I
>need to randomize the order of the features- so I can't just have a
>display that shows [f1], [f2], [f3]. Does anyone have any
>suggestions on how to make these attributes appear in a different
>random order for each of the ~50 examples I'll present?
>
>The solution I can think of now is to write code that has a string
>array 'f1' 'f2' 'f3', randomizes this array, and then sets each
>element of the randomized array to Text Boxes on a slide. But I'm
>not sure how easy this will be to implement in practice, and it
>seems as though there might be a natural way to use E-prime to
>randomize the order the items appear in.

Your plan should work, and would seem most natural to many EP users.

OTOH, the "natural" "E-Prime way" (IMO) would use nested lists and
colon styntax.  For each member I might create a nested list with
three rows that contain the features in a single column, let's call
the column "Feature".  I would set the nested lists to
Randomize.  Then in my display object I would use [Feature:0],
[Feature:1], and [Feature:2] to show the features in a randomized order.

For more info on nested lists and colon sytnax, do the Nested Lists
tutorial in the User's Guide that came with E-Prime, and check the
index to find the section on colon syntax.