feedback contingent on response time

Tracy lennertz.t at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 21:42:31 UTC 2008

Hi E-Prime users,

I'm trying to set an experiment, that provides different feedback
depending on a participant's accuracy (> or < 80%) and RT (> or < 1500
ms) at the end of each block.  Thus, participants will receive one of
four feedback messages at the end of a block of trials.  I have the
ACC feedback working fine, but am having trouble implementing the RT
feedback, and I can't seem to figure out why.  Regardless of a
participant's RT, they receive the message that their responses are
fast.  I've included my necessary script components below.

I have an InitiateVariable InLine Text, at the beginning of the
session that states:

'This initiates the Summation object, OverallRT, so that it
'may be referenced within the experiment.
Set OverallRT = New Summation

At the end of each trial, I have a Summation InLine text that states:

'The AddObservation command adds the RT value of object
'Stimulus5 to the Summation object, OverallRT.
OverallRT.AddObservation Stimulus5.RT

'The Debug.Print command prints the mean value of the Summation
'object, OverallRT, in the Output window.
Debug.Print OverallRT.Mean

'The OverallRT attribute adds the running calculation of overall
'accuracy to the data file at the trial level.
c.SetAttrib "OverallRT", OverallRT.Mean

At the end of each block, I have an InLine text object, that states:

If c.GetAttrib("OverallRT") < 1500 And c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") > 80
Then
  BlockACC.Text = "Your average accuracy is " &
c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") & " % and your responses are fast."

ElseIf c.GetAttrib("OverallRT") < 1500 And c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") <
80 Then
  BlockACC.Text = "Your average accuracy is " &
c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") & " % and your responses are fast. Please
try harder."

ElseIf c.GetAttrib("OverallRT") > 1500 And c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") <
80 Then
  BlockACC.Text = "Your average accuracy is " &
c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") & " % and your responses are slow. Please
try harder."

ElseIf c.GetAttrib("OverallRT") > 1500 And c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") >
80 Then
  BlockACC.Text = "Your average accuracy is " &
c.GetAttrib("OverallACC") & " % and your responses are slow. Good Job
and please respond quickly."

End If

Lastly, in the User Tab of the script, I have declared the variable:
'This script declares OverallRT as a global Summation object.
'This enables OverallRT to collect a number of data entries
'to later display the user's average RT.
Dim OverallRT as Summation

Is there a necessary component to this script that I might be
missing?  I'm not sure why the ACC feedback is working (set up as
"OverallACC" in the same manner as described above), but not the RT
feedback.

Thank you very much for your help and time!

Best regards,
Tracy