Recording Real Time Responses

Dr. Dave Hairston dave.hairston at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 19:34:34 UTC 2008

A final note on splitting monitors - when you get the device to do so,
be sure that it supports the total badnwidth of the signal that you
are sending. Often we (at least I!) are running at fairly fast refresh
rates (hopefully < 10 ms, if you have the right equipment you can hit
5 ms) and screen resolutions for having good tight experimental
control. Some splitting boxes (the cheap ones) officially only support
slow (e.g., <100 Hz) refresh rates and/or low resolutions. What will
happen is that if you exceedteh capacity of the box, the two monitors
may either (a) not actually stay in sync with either other, so the
timing of what you (the experimenter sees) and your subject may not be
true, and (more importantly) you don't really know if the time
reported by E-Prime is accurate... or (b) the image will be terrible
or simply shut off.

I like the cheap and elegant tape-over-the-response solution... but
why would you want to do that for only 10 cents and 10 seconds of
work, when instead you could waste 3 days and thousands of valuable
research dollars with the more complicated route?? ;-)