Generating a performance summary at task completion?

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 12:12:52 UTC 2009

Hey Morgan,

Basically what you need are variables that run accros the whole
experiment instead of per trial. You can define these in the user tab
of the script window. After you've generated the script a script
window is opened that has two tabs to be chosen from in the bottom of
that window: full (shows the script) and user (which is empty). Now
declare the variables you need in that user-tab. For instance:

========================
dim correctcounter as integer
dim errorcounter as integer
dim rtcorrectcounter as integer
dim rterrorcounter as integer
dim omitedcounter as integer
dim trialcounter

dim finalpercentcorrect as integer
dim finalpercenterror as integer
dim finalpercentomitted as integer
dim meancorrectrt as integer
dim meanerrorrt as integer
==========================

Now at the end of a trial (or after an answer is given) you need to
insert an inline that updates the error- an correctcounter based on
the answer given.
The following code should do this: firstly it simply updates the
counter that keeps the total number of trials which we'll need later
on. Then it determines whether or not a response is given. If there is
no response (slidedisplay.resp = "") then the omittedcounter is
updated and written to the edatfile. If a response is given (case
else) it goes on to determine whether or not this response is correct
and based on that, it updates either the correct- or the errcounters
and writes them to the edatfile. The z in front of the attributenames
makes them all appear at the far right of the edat file (which is
alphabetically ordered) so you can easily find them. This select case-
construction is to make it so that omitted trials are not counted as
errortrials.

==========================
trialcounter = trialcounter + 1

Select case slidedisplay.resp

case ""
omittedcounter = omittedcounter + 1
c.setattrib "zomittedcounter", omittedcounter

case else
if slidedisplay.acc = 1 then

correctcounter = correctcounter +1
c.setattrib "zcorrectcounter", correctounter
rtcorrectcounter = rtcorrectcounter + slidedisplay.rt
c.setattrib "zrtcorrectcounter", rtcorrectcoutner

end if

if slidedisplay.acc = 0 then

errorcounter = errorcounter + 1
c.setattrib "zerrorcounter", errorcounter
rterrorcounter = rterrorcounter + slidedisplay.rt
c.setattrib "zrterrorcounter", rterrorcounter

end if

end select

=======================
The above script updates the counters for each trial based on the
answer given. At the end of the experiment we should of course make
the counters go to percentages and the rt's should be averaged.

Place something like this in an inline that is located on the
sessionproc after (all) the trialproc(s) have been run (I'm not
entirely sure whether the / for dividing will work just like that...
but you should be able to work that out). Firstly it updates the user-
tab variables based on the counters and the second part writes it all
to the edat file.

=============================
finalpercentcorrect = correctcounter / trialcounter
finalpercenterror = erorrounter / trialcounter
finalpercentomitted = omittedcounter / trialcounter
meancorrectrt = rtcorrectcounter / correctcounter
meanerrorrt = rterrorcounter / errorcounter

c.setattrib "zfinalpercentcorrect", finalpercentcorrect
c.setattrib "zfinalpercenterror", finalpercenterror
c.setattrib "zfinalpercentomitted", finalpercentomitted
c.setattrib "zmeancorrectrt", meancorrectrt
c.setattrib "zmeanerrorrt", meanerrorrt

==========================

Lastly you can show a slide that tells the subject the following
(place a text like this in a text-object).

==========================
You've finished [trialcounter] trials and of these trials you've
answered [finalpercentcorrect] % correctly, [finalprcenterror]%
incorrectly and you did not answer [finalpercentomitted]% of the
trials. Your average reactiontime on the trials you've answered
correctly was [meancorrectrt] milliseconds, and for the trials you've
answered incorrectly your average reactiontime was [meanerrorrt].

Ok.... now all the above is to give you an idea of what should be done
more or less.... I did it top of my head and have no opportunity to
actually run it in e-prime so I am not entirely sure whether it will
all work as intended but it should get you started.

Good luck on it!

liwenna