random positions for letters

Peter Quain pquain at une.edu.au
Sun Aug 9 17:10:28 UTC 2009

Hi Ashraf

You probably have this sorted out by now, but
after writing about positioning your stimuli
using the canvas object (and Mich rightly
pointing out that this might be a difficult
solution to implement) I thought more about how
this could be done, and worked out the (...one
of  the :) algorithm. Anyway i've built a little
VB utility that computes the x-y coordinates for
different size native display resolution
(640*480; 800*600 etc.) for the upper left
corners of 6 squares (of side 'S') that centre on
screen centred circumference at 60, 120, ... 360
degrees of circle with radius 'r'.

Let me know if it would be of any use and will send it along.

You can run it on any computer and copy down the
coordinates which could then be entered into the
x / y properties dialogue of each of your slide
objects, along with width, to situate them in
clockface at correct degree. But, if you change
the display resolution of the monitor you are
going to be testing on to the resolution e-prime
will use (set in experiment properties, but
default, i think, at 640*480) and run the utility
on that you can then adjust the size of the
stimulus display very quickly, while measuring
the elements in terms of the calculations you
have done for visual angle relative to viewing
distance. Then you'll get the correct coordinates to proceed.

~Peter