Creating Push Buttons in Eprime like in VB

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 20:00:23 UTC 2009

Hi Puma!

E-prime doesn't provide push buttons in the way VB does...  (at least,
to the best of my knowledge that it..... although e-basic and visual
basic seem to be related...)

There are some options, though.

Firstly: e-prime is able to display 'windows styled boxes' that pose a
question or prompt for an answer and have pushbuttons at the bottem
(the 'ok' 'cancel' type) which you can fully customize to show your
desired text, buttontexts etc. You should find info on these in the e-
basic help section found in e-prime, and/or in the user guide. I
digged up an screenshot from a task I did a few years ago and used
only these types of boxes: http://images.redial.net/screenshot%20awaim%20.png
As you can see it's possible to fully customize the box, from the text
in the upper bar (AWAIM 1.2 in this case) to the question, to the
options  on the pushbuttons. The colourtheme (silverish) was the
default theme set on the specific computer where this shot was taken.

Alternatively: (if you don't want to be restricted to the limited
space these boxes offer without look strange) you could work out a way
to draw them on the canvas. Two useful example scripts would be this
one (http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/samples.asp?
Mode=View&SampleID=39) which shows two ways on how to collect response
based on the location of a mouseclick on the canvas. I suggest that
you use the canvas method (not the dohittest) and perhaps combine that
with info from this one (http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/
samples.asp?Mode=View&SampleID=9) which (supposedly, I never saw it in
action) shows you more about the option's you have with drawing on the
canvas.

It will take some fiddling around but if you're a littelbit
experienced with how coding works you should be able to make it so
that it looks and functions like a pushbutton and even shows in the
desired location too.... ;)  I think it should be something like a
rectangle within a rectangle that colours darker and/or shows a dotted-
line square when selected.

Both options will be rather labout intensive though... so let's hope
that someone else has even better suggestions....

Good luck,

liwenna