Habituation with E-Prime

cdenicola cadeni01 at louisville.edu
Thu Aug 13 18:37:40 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to program a habituation experiment in E-Prime. I
need it to display a stimulus when Enter is pressed, start recording
looking time when 5 is pressed, and stop recording looking time when 5
is released, then one second later removing the stimulus. I also need
to program it to calculate a sliding window to detect when they've
habituated, but that's for another time. Here's some of the script:

dim doAdd as boolean
lookAwayTime = -1
lookAwayStart = -1
trialTimer = MovieDisplay1.FirstFrameTime

'loop to measure looking time via keyboard

do
	set theResponseData = Keyboard.History(Keyboard.History.Count - 1)
			if  doAdd = false then
				lookStart = theResponseData.RTTime
				lookAwayTime = 0
				Display.Canvas.text 0, 0, "5 pressed " & theResponseData.RTTime
				doADD = true
		end if
		if theResponseData = "{-5}" then
			if doAdd = true then
				lookAwayStart= theResponseData.RTTime
				lookTime = theResponseData.RTTime-lookStart
				habitArray(trialCount).AddObservation lookTime
				Display.Canvas.text 0, 0, "5 Released " & theResponseData.RTTime
				Display.Canvas.text 500, 0, "looking time: " & habitArray
(trialCount).total
				doAdd = false
			end if
	end select
loop

I keep getting an "operator mismatch error" on the line pointed out
with >>>>
Also, am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Thanks
Chris