Current thinking on Windows Vista and E-Prime?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Aug 28 14:48:48 UTC 2009

Nothing has changed with regard to reliability of E-Prime 2 under
Vista.  Note that the latest build of EP2 (2.0.8.22) was released
over a year ago on 21 May 2008, and nothing has changed since
then.  So all the reported problems remain:  Delays and crashes when
playing sound (http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1361-12-1.aspx ),
crashes when playing movies
(http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1850-4-1.aspx ), anomalies in
measured response times
(http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2994-12-1.aspx ).

In short, DO NOT use Vista for E-Prime 2!  E-Prime 1, by contrast,
does seem to work OK under Vista.  Nevertheless, I would go even
further to insist that Vista not be used for running any experiments,
as Vista simply has not proved itself reliable for laboratory use in
the way that XP has.  OK though to use Vista for *developing* the
experiment programs and then move them to XP machines for running
subjects, if you can get through the occasional glitches during
development -- that's what I do.