PreRelease??

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Aug 31 18:49:32 UTC 2009

Peter,

At 8/30/2009 12:30 PM Sunday, you wrote:
> From e-basic help (both versions 1, and 2)
>Syntax
>
>RteRunnableInputObject.PreRelease
<snip>
>¨       This property is used only with
>Cumulative Timing Mode.  It is ignored in Event timing.

Thanks for noticing this, and for bringing it to
our attention here.  I brought this up on the PST
Forum over a year ago (in the context of the
topic "Size of Image Files", see
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1197-5-1.aspx
), and got this response from Brandon Cernicky:

"... thank you for bringing a significant
oversight in the E-Basic help file to our
attention.  The documentation you mentioned in
RteRunnableInputObject.PreRelease is minimally
out of context and the statement about PreRelease
being ignored in Event timing mode is just plain
inaccurate.  We have typically not referred end
users to the E-Basic help for this specific
property instead towards the Critical Timing
Chapter in the manuals.  Thanks again for bring
this to our attention so that it can be corrected.

"The use of PreRelease works the same for both
Cumulative and Event timing modes.  Cumulative
timing mode depends more on PreRelease because of
its temporal sync mechanisms.  But Event timing
requires the benefits of PreRelease just as well."

Hope that clarifies that issue.  Also FWIW, as
far as I can tell, the E-Basic Help that comes
with EP2 contains exactly the same content as in
EP1 -- in particular, the EP2 Help lacks any
documentation on new features added in EP2.  So I
expect that any errors in the EP1 Help carry over unchanged into the EP2 Help.