Recording presses and releases from a serial response box

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 12:14:13 UTC 2009

Hi,
Just to make a bit of a contribution to this: as David pointed out, though maxCount will allow recording of multiple responses, it will not necessarily SAVE the timings of these responses. Here's an example where I have one textDisplay, 'RespS1', which collects the two responses, and a script which then saves the relevant information to the .edat (a quick edit from the ebasic help, actually):

dim nClicks as integer
Dim kbdRespColl As ResponseDataCollection
nClicks = RespS1.InputMasks(1).Responses.Count   '(1) being keyboard here
Set kbdRespColl = RespS1.InputMasks(1).Responses
if nClicks > 0 then
	c.Setattrib "RT1", (kbdRespColl(1).RT)
	if kbdRespColl(1).RESP = c.GetAttrib ("CRESP1") then c.SetAttrib "ACC1", 1 else c.SetAttrib "ACC1", 0
	end if
if nClicks > 1 then
	c.SetAttrib "RT2", (kbdRespColl(2).RT)
	if kbdRespColl(2).RESP = c.GetAttrib ("CRESP2") then c.SetAttrib "ACC2", 1 else c.SetAttrib "ACC2", 0
	end if

BTW: I agree with David that ElseIf would be more computationally efficient and elegant, but I usually find it easier on my own cognition to make exclusive and exhaustive if-then statements (and will take the extra microsecond for granted). The above formula works pretty elegantly however, since the only unselected case (=0) shouldn't give any RT's or ACC's anyway (I prefer missing reactions to be coded as missing rather than as errors).
Cheers,

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group