response recording during several displays

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Dec 17 17:57:13 UTC 2009

Indeed, that is not a bad solution, and it is the first solution that
all my students come up with when I pose the question to them (and
was my own first solution).  But for one thing it does seem
kludgy:  The .RT appears sometimes in the stimulus column, sometimes
in the mask column, and when it appears in the mask column you have
to add in the duration of the stim.  And if you do just that, your RT
will *not* include the time between the offset of the stimulus and
the onset of the mask.  So to get it right when the response comes
during the mask you would need to calculate mask.RTTime -
stim.OnsetTime.  Whew!

There has to be an easier way, and there is -- *Extended
Input*.  Extended input cleanly, simply, and transparently takes care
of all of this.  Please please do not overlook Appendix C.