E-Prime 2 conversion of .es files

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 5 21:17:37 UTC 2009

At 2/4/2009 12:32 PM Wednesday, Peter Bachman wrote:
>I have a question regarding an error with E-Prime 2.  I tried to
>convert an .es file created in E-Prime 1 into an E-Prime 2 compatible
>format.  It seemed to work - the process created an .es2 file that
>opened in E-Studio - but the script would not compile.  I received the
>following error ...
>
>Encountered: constant
>Expecting: identifier
>
>Associated with setting "color as string"
>
>I'm wondering if this is an error that comes up with E-Prime 2
>sometimes, and is perhaps not specific to my script.  And also, if
>anyone has successfully fixed the problem in their scripts.
>
>Thanks!

I had to try this out myself, and indeed, this works with EP1 but not
with EP2.  Clearly, although not yet documented (the EP2
documentation lags behind the product), in EP2 "color" is now a
restricted keyword.  If you want to test this further yourself, just
put any other known keyword (e.g., "string") in place of "color", and
you will get practically the same error.

The solution is simply to change the name of your variable from "color".

--David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder