LabVIEW vs. E-Prime

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 24 21:43:51 UTC 2009

Greg,

>Well, first off, LabVIEW make it very easy for people to program
>things badly  :)

LOL!  I don't know that E-Prime does any better, but I defer to your judgment.

>I am not sure what the price points are..   A seat of LabVIEW runs
>from about $2,500 for the basic package.  I have no idea how that
>compares with E-Prime.

Yikes!  (Although I found a note from 2007 showing a "base price" of
$1200.)  By comparison, if you ask you can still get a full EP1
license for $700.  As for the current EP2 product, as detailed at the
PST sales site, (http://www.pstnet.com/products/e-prime/#Pricing ) a
single "Professional" license runs $1000, what I call the "base"
edition runs a mere $800 for one license, and you can get a
"run-time" license (no E-Studio hardware key) for $125.  Network
licenses and quantity discounts are also available.

>Are you familiar with LabVIEW then?

As it turns out, I have been told by a user in our organization that
we have a site license for LabVIEW, so I could explore it for no
charge!  Now if only I had the time to spare...