Response to a slide

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 26 22:16:28 UTC 2009

Greg,

>I only had the few minutes to get it set up

<unsolicited-editorial-rant>
That illustrates the bigger problem here.  Behavioral research labs
today seem to think that they can do research in a rush, and so do
not allow time to do things properly.  Back in my graduate training
in the early 1980s, my advisor at the University of Chicago actually
reminded me that science is a deliberative process, and I needed to
slow down and take more time to ponder things.  Seems our culture has
abandoned those values, taking an abundance of whiz-bang technology
as a substitute for timely deliberation.  As for me, I do not find
that an improvement.  But then I am a cranky old geezer.
</unsolicited-editorial-rant>