Reset accuracy and/or trial count

Katherine kvharder at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:21:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am working on an experiment and am having difficulty resetting the
accuracy count or trial count (or both). In the experiment,
participants will hear a word and will respond by pressing 1 or 0. If
the participant responds correctly to 60% or more of the items, the
experiment terminates. If the participant does not respond correctly
to 60% or more of the items, the experiment moves to the next block
(Block 2) and the participant is given a second chance with the same
items in the same order. We would like to reset the accuracy and trial
count so that the participant must again respond correctly to 60% or
more of the items in order to terminate the experiment (we do not want
the accuracy to be cumulative, we want the accuracy reading to start
over so that the 60% criterion is based only on the 6 trials in each
block). Again, if the participant does not reach this 60% criteria,
the experiment will move to the next block (Block 3). We want Block 3
to be the final block and the experiment to end after Block 3 no
matter the participant’s accuracy.

Our user script has:

Dim Accuracy as Summation
Dim TrialCount as Integer
Dim CriterionMet as Boolean

We then have the Session Procedure in which the first item is a script
called InitVar:

Set Accuracy = New Summation
TrialCount = 0
CriterionMet = True

This script is followed by a Welcome slide, the PracticeList (which
has PracticeTrialProc1, PracticeTrialProc2, and PracticeTrialProc3),
and finally a Goodbye slide. PracticeTrialProc1 has the Practice1
list, which has TrialProc1:

1. Slide with an ear asking the participant to listen
2. Fixation point in a text display
3. Stimulus
4. Smiley face saying “great”
5. IncreaseandAdd script:

'Add individual accuracy scores to Summation object
Accuracy.AddObservation CDbl (c.GetAttrib("Stimulus.ACC"))

'Increase Trial count at end of each trial
TrialCount = TrialCount + 1

6. CheckAccuracy script:
'When trial count = 6, start evaluating accuracy stats on every trial
If  TrialCount >= 6 Then
	'If the mean of the Summation object ever reaches 60% or better, move
to next block
	If Accuracy.Mean >= .60 Then
		'MsgBox for debugging purposes only
		MsgBox "Terminate"
		'Terminate currently running List
		PracticeList.Terminate

	Else
		'No error trials to run
		GoTo EndOfBlock
		Accuracy.Reset
	End If
End If

7. Label named ‘EndOfBlock’

PracticeTrialProc2 is the same except that all of the objects have a
‘2’ at the end to make them different from the objects in
PracticeTrialProc1, and the same goes for PracticeTrialProc3. The
scripts are also the same (except they reference the correct Practice#
lists and EndOfBlock# labels), which may be the problem. I am not sure
what to add or delete to reset the trial count or the accuracy.
PracticeTrialProc1 is working correctly (terminating experiment if 60%
criterion is met, or if not, moving to Block 2), but I can’t get
PracticeTrialProc2 to work. The experiment does not terminate when the
60% criterion is met. It goes to PracticeTrialProc3 and if I continue
to respond correctly, it gives me the ‘Terminate’ message but
continues through the rest of PracticeTrialProc3.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Katherine