What does this line of code mean?

Edmund Lam elam.txt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:26:29 UTC 2009

Hello everyone, I have what I believe to be a relatively simple
question for anybody who can help.

I am modifying a Stop Signal Task for E-Prime 2. I have a procedures
which flows like this

TrainPicDisplay --> SkipTrain --> TrainPicDisplay2 --> EndOfTrialTrain
    (Picture)             (inline)
(picture)                  (inline)

In the SkipTrain inline script, I have the following code:

     If TrainPicDisplay.RESP <> "" then goto EndOfTrialTrain

     beep

1. What does the <> "" in the first line mean?
2. Will the beep always sound? If not, when will it and when will it
not?

Thanks,

Edmund Lam