Looking for a software like Eprime but free

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Mar 5 19:39:40 UTC 2009

Sebastien,

It depends in part on what you mean by "like E-Prime".  Awhile back I
did a web search and came up with a lot of behavioral task building
systems, free & otherwise, and a lot of these seemed to amount to
specialized subroutine libraries, which you may or may not consider
"like E-Prime".  If I can ever clear off my desk then I will look up
those notes and post something more for you.

For now the only thing that comes to my mind is Paradigm from
Perception Research Systems, you may find it at
http://www.perceptionresearchsystems.com .  This product is free
while still in beta (currently Beta6), when version 1.0 arrives then
it will cost money.  I do not know how well it works with fMRI, but
you may contact the company, I can tell you from my own experience
that the owner is very approachable.

>You can try DMDX.

Hmm, I had not discovered this one before.  To spare others the the
trouble of looking it up in Google, you can find DMDX at
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~kforster/dmdx/dmdx.htm .

If you need millisecond precision with a Windows system, make sure
whatever you get uses DirectX, as discussed in documents from PST and
DMDX, among others.

Hope you find something,