voice-over and time beam

Rick O'Gorman rickogorman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:45:52 UTC 2009

Hi Ben (and David),

I have to disagree here. Being privy to previous posts by David, I
understood where he is coming from. I also totally appreciate his
contributions. Nonetheless, having been a newbie to e-prime myself
recently, I also understand Bas' and Oisin's challenges. We all have
limited time and sometimes its more efficient to ask someone who knows
rather than always try to learn everything yourself (I tend to make the
latter mistake). Furthermore, the manuals aren't perfect.

The bottom line is that no-one holds a gun to anyone's head here to
answer questions. If you don't have the answer, or feel its too
difficult to explain, then you can ignore the request or politely tell
the poster that. If you think the answer is in the manual, then advising
to RTFM (perhaps without the F) is reasonable. But there is little more
as off-putting when joining a new group then being abruptly asked why
you didn't read up more first, or some other harsh introduction.

It sets the wrong tone, in my view, and I don't really see the
necessity. But we all get frustrated also, so we need to also forgive
the rebukes. :)

Rick

--
Rick O'Gorman, PhD
Psychology, Faculty of Development and Society

Phone: 0114 225 5788 Fax: 0114 225 2430

http://www.shu.ac.uk/psychology/staff/OGorman.html

If people are good only because they fear punishment,
and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
                                  --Albert Einstein