Keeping face stimulus while deleting text instructions.

Rochelle rochelle.hudson at gmail.com
Tue May 26 18:06:14 UTC 2009

I'm working on a project to study the responses of Capgras' patients
to familiar and unfamiliar faces. We ask the patients an identical,
simple question on each slide, and thought it would be nice to give
the patients some feedback after they entered a response (either "1"
or "2"). Since the question appears on each slide, I am trying to make
the text disappear after the patient responds, but keep the picture
stimulus on screen.

Each face, then, would be on screen for a total of six seconds, but
the question would disappear after the patients entered a response.

I've barely programmed before, but explored the E-Basic help and came
up with something like this:

If FaceText.RT < 6000

Then

 FaceNoText.Duration = 6000 - FaceText.RT

Else

 FaceText.Duration = 6000

End If

I put this between two slides, one with the text instructions and
picture, and one with only the picture. This (seems like it?) would
toggle between the two slides but keep the overall time at 6 seconds.
Obviously, however, this is not working. Does anyone have an idea
where I went wrong/what I could try next? Your help is much
appreciated!

Overall (on the GUI), the duration of both slides are set to 6000,
mode to Event, end action (on the first slide) to Terminate.