Terminate a Sublist after a Response

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:34:11 UTC 2009

Good evening both,

Ben: listname.terminate works for me in 2.0, I use it often to
terminate a practicetrials list when certain criteria are met.

Ariana. I am just gonna throw some wild new idea at you that I didn't
try out and might not at all do what you need (and even might not be
the best possible solution at all, but was the first thing that I
could come up with).

How about ditching all the 30 and more lists and have one list that in
each level holds the four pictures that make up a trial.

Start with creating a variable that will count the repeats in each
trial" place the line: 'dim repeats as integer' on the user tab of the
script window.

Trialproc should then start with an inline that resets the variable
called repeats; 'repeats =  0' will do. This inline then is followed
by an  labelobject (say backlabel). Next are four slides that will
display the four pictures that make up one trial. Each slide has a set
duration (depending on how fast the images have to 'change') and have
responding and logging enabled. For each of these slides endaction
should be jumping to a label called 'answerlabel'. After the slides
place an inline that first increased the variable 'repeats' with 1,
log the new value of repeats and next tells the program to jump back
to 'backlabel': "Repeats = repeats +1 C.setattrib "logrepeats",
repeats Goto backlabel". This inline is followed by 'answerlabel' and
the responseslide should be the last object on the procedure.

Now: when a trial starts each of the four slides are shown and if a
subject responds during any of the slides the program will jump to
'answerlabel', resulting in the response slide to be shown and then
termination of that run of the trialproc. If however after slide 4 the
subject has not responded yet the program will encounter the inline
that tells it to jump back to 'backlabel' and each of the slides will
be shown again. Because the variable called 'repeats' is updated in
the same inline that tells the program to jump back, you will be able
to tell how often each of the slides has been shown. This way the
procedure will keep looping the four pictures untill the subject has
responded and you'll also be able to infer on which repetition of a
slide the subject has responded.

I hope this is any clear this way... I'll clarify more tomorrow if
needed.

Best regards,

liw