copy/paste objects between experiments in eprime 2?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Nov 5 16:47:29 UTC 2009

liwenna,

I already replied to your post at the PST Forum, but would like to
also post this here:

Sigh. So just now I took a look at this myself. For the record, I ran
these tests using EP 2.0.8.22 under Vista (I do not, repeat, do not
run subjects under Vista, only program development).

We need to pay attention to the source of the copy, the destination
of the paste, the method of copy/paste, and the occurrence of name
conflicts during the paste, as follows:

Source Copy: Structure, Design (e.g., Procedure), Browser
Destination Paste: Structure, Design (e.g., Procedure), Browser
Method: Drag & Drop, Context (right-click) menu, Edit menu
Name Coflict: absent or present

This gives us 54 cases (not counting all the Paste Conflict
possibilities) which PST engineers should have tested for themselves,
but as usual I will step into the gap and do this for them (or have
they already reported this in a KB that I missed?) (yes, I seriously
am a professional faultfinder, every organization should get one).
But we may simplify this a little, as follows:

- Drag & Drop works from Structure, Design, and Browser, but only to
the Design window of the destination.
- Both Edit > Copy and Context menu > Copy work from Structure and
Browser windows; Copy is grayed out in the Design window.
- Both Edit > Paste and Context menu > Paste work in the Structure,
Design, and Browser windows, as long as there is no name conflict.
(To paste to the Structure window, you must have the Unreferenced
E-Objects selected.)
- If an object with the same name already exists in the destination,
you will get the Paste Conflict dialog. And here is where the real
fun begins...
     - If you use Context menu > Paste in the Structure window and
get a Paste Conflict, you also get a little checkbox off to the side
that says "Default", and the dialog does not respond to any entries;
furthermore, you cannot switch to any other window on the computer
until that dialog is dismissed. You can only press Esc to dismiss the dialog.
     - Thereafter, further attempts to paste to the Structure or
Browser windows will fail until you exit & restart E-Studio. You can
still paste to the Design window, but you will get a Paste Conflict
dialog even though the earlier paste failed (and even if that used a
unique object name).

I'm sure I missed something, but you get the idea.

(Aside to Brandon: This is an example of the sort of documentation I
would like to see PST provide for us, instead of me puzzling all this
out for myself.)

OK, now somebody has to post this to Web Support to get their
attention, and the more of us who do that the better.