Searching for answers in the Google Group

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 1 21:19:18 UTC 2009

Just wanted to pass on an annoyance in case it spares anyone else
some trouble.  I am fond of telling others to first search the
E-Prime Google Group (or the PST Forum) to find answers any already
posted to their repeated questions.  Well, if you go to the E-Prime
Google Group page at http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime and just
run an regular search there, you run a good chance of *not* finding
existing useful posts from the past.  This has been documented at
http://groups.google.com/group/is-something-broken/browse_thread/thread/95a8a776796c050e/25bd19e3c7007975?lnk=raot
-- it seems that the Search feature on any Group page does not search
back for more than a few weeks, so if the post you need to find is
any older then you will miss it!

E.g., a broad search using just the word "multiple" pulled up only
one, irrelevant, thread from 8 Sep 2009.  When I manually scrolled
back to Jun 2009 I found several threads with "multiple" in the
subject line, but even when I was looking right at the threads in the
list, a search using "multiple" failed to find them!

(And how did I know to scroll back to Jun 2009?  Why, I used the
search feature at the E-Prime Archive at
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/eprime.html , which still
works marvellously.  However, it presents only one post at a time,
instead of the full thread as shown in the Google Groups view.)

As discussed at the link above, the solution is to go to the Advanced
Groups Search page at http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
.  Besides entering your search terms, you must click the radio
button to make it a Google Groups search, and manually enter the name
of the group (i.e., "e-prime").

Whew, glad to get that off my chest.