How to manage List Objects with changing Sizes, and how to make No Response be the Correct Response?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Sun Oct 4 15:17:58 UTC 2009

Wayne,

So you want to manage List levels in script, eh?  Tricky stuff.  As you
noticed, there is no List.DeleteLevel method, so once you add a level to
a List you have it forever.  (BTW, the mere absence of a method from the
online E-Basic Help does not mean it does not exist; e.g., the Help also
does not mention the List.AddAttrib method, which does exist as I
documented at http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic1241-12-1.aspx .)  So
you are left with either  (1) deleting the entire List object and
recreating it from scratch in script, or  (2) using List.SetWeight to
set the weight of "deleted" rows to 0.  In any case, you must run a
List.Reset before using your modified list, see the FactorSpace.Reset
topic in the online E-Basic Help (i.e., the aforementioned .chm document).

As for making no response the correct response, many have asked before
and if you run a search on the E-Prime List archive or the PST Forum you
may find this already addressed with several good strategies.  That
said, as you will again note from the online E-Basic Help, the constant
EbNoResponseAsCorrect is defined specifically for use with Feedback
objects (though I don't see any information on how to use it), so it
likely does not apply to your situation.  It seems to me rather that if
you just put Allowable = XO on all trials, Correct = X on X trials, and
Correct = "" (i.e., leave it blank) on O trials, then everything will
work as you wish.  Please write back and let us know how that works.

Best regards,