ExitValueSamples: get it in an Inline?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 26 21:12:51 UTC 2009

Dave,

This is all beyond me, so I encourage you to take this up with PST
Web Support at http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, they promise response times of 24-48 hours to all requests.  But
here are my thoughts anyway...

At 10/23/2009 04:25 PM Friday, you wrote:
>Is there a way to get the "Exit List After # Samples" value from a
>list object and use it in an Inline script?  Looking at the .es file
>in a text editor (I'm using Eprime 1.1) I see the value is stored as
>"ExitValueSamples" but I haven't found anything about that in the
>documentation anywhere, or through Google.

You may find this documentend in the List.TerminateCondition topic of
the online E-Basic Help, which will then steer you to the Trigger
Object topic.  But I don't know that any of that will help you
because AFAIK .TerminateCondition returns a "Trigger" object instead
of a number.

>The reason I am trying to do this is that I have script to run an
>experiment in the fMRI scanner.  The experiment is broken into 8 scan
>runs to allow the subject resting periods.  If something goes wrong I
>need to be able to start up the script on a specified run number.
>Right now I have it prompt for a startup value StartRunNum and then I
>have a script at the beginning which uses a For loop to step through
>the right number of GetNextAttrib() methods, which has the effect of
>advancing the list by the right number.  But there are sub-lists
>within each run, which also need to be advanced.  I am piloting this
>right now, so I may be changing the numbers of samples of the various
>sub-lists, and if I do it this way it gets to be a complicated set of
>nested For loops with values that have to stay synchronized with
>changes in the Exit List After Samples in a complicated way.  So I'd
>like to be able to change the Exit After value in my lists without
>needing to update the skip-ahead script.
>
>If anyone has a better way of skipping ahead to a specified run
>number, I'd be open to alternatives, too.

Since you have the scan runs organized in a list, you might find some
way to just jump to and run one single level of your scan run
list.  This is very much what Counterbalance does, so you might take
a look at the script that that produces (you would have to get
comfortable with List.Order, List.Deletion, and PickOne, as well as
List.TerminateCondition, List.ResetCondition, and Samples).  For that
matter, long ago we used IFIS for our fMRI, and that implemented a
complete random-access scan run menu all in E-Prime.  If you could
find someone to generate any old IFIS program in EP1 and send you
both the .es and the .ebs file, you could learn a lot by poring over
the script.  (I know that I did long ago, e.g., now I use an
Unreferenced list to expose global parameters to users rather than
make them figure out how to use the User Script pane.)  Make sure
they use EP1, and send the .ebs file -- you cannot generate the .ebs
file without the IFIS package, and EP2 .ebs2 files hide the generated script.