Response devices

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:50:06 UTC 2009

Tobias,

OK, this question clearly lies outside the domain of PST Web Support,
so I will weigh in...

>Of course, keyboards and mice don't look that professional

Hmm, around here we use keyboards and mice extensively, but perhaps
we are not that "professional" :).  We also use the PST SRBox, and if
you understand its operation then in principle you could use it with
any platform that will accept a stream from a serial port.  Beyond
that, sometimes we (meaning I) build our own custom response boxes
and wire them up either through an SRBox, a commercial digital I/O
board, or even the lowly parallel port -- I have some mechanical
skills as well as electronic and technology skills, and that is my
job here.  Of course you should have a machine shop and an electronic
shop as well as a skilled research technology professional at your
own institution to help with that (perhaps you are that
professional!).  <rant> I really don't see how anyone can consider
themselves to do serious science in this day & age without such
assistance. </rant>  In short, we just do whatever it takes to get the data.

Oh, Empirisoft also boasts a keyboard with millisecond latency
specifically for psychology research, as well as a USB button box
(puts them a bit ahead of PST there), but we have not tried any of
these.  See http://www.empirisoft.com .  And of course, some people
use touch screens, but I have to let those folks speak up for themselves.

Good question, I look forward to more responses.