Feedback Help

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Sep 8 21:36:11 UTC 2009

Patricia,

First off, if you really have no idea how to write script, then you
*must* pause here and work through Chapter 4 of the User's Guide that
came with E-Prime.  I can wait...

... OK, did you *really* stop and work through Chapter 4?  Then let us
proceed ...

You might do this with a simple TextDisplay object, or Text sub-objects
within a slide, or you might go whole hog and use a Slide with multiple
states.

To use a text object, just use an attribute reference for your feedback
text, e.g., [myFeedback]

Then add a bit of inline script between your response object and your
feedback object to assign a value to myFeedback.  Suppose we call your
response object ResponseText, and it uses the attribute CorrectKey for
the correct response, then your script might look like this:

If ResponseText.RESP = "Z" Then
     If ResponseText.CRESP = "Z" Then c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Hit"
     Else c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Miss"
Else
     If ResponseText.CRESP = "Z" Then c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "FA"
     Else c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Correct Rejection"
End If

Or if you prefer, you can do this using the correct response scoring
built in to E-Prime:
If ResponseText.CORR Then
     If ResponseText.RESP = "Z" Then c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Hit"
     Else c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Correct Rejection"
Else
     If ResponseText.RESP = "Z" Then c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "FA"
     Else c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", "Miss"
End If

Finally, at the risk of some obfuscation, you could make use of the
Iif() function to compact this to:
If ResponseText.CORR Then
     c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", Iif( ResponseText.RESP = "Z", "Hit",
"Correct Rejection" )
Else
     c.SetAttrib "myFeedback", Iif( ResponseText.RESP = "Z", "FA", "Miss" )
End If

It's really up to you and your programming style.

You could instead do this with a Slide with multiple states, one state
each for Hit, Miss, False Alarm, and Correct Rejection.  Then you might
keep all the slide text and design static, and just flip the state
depending on the response.  I can only give a sketch of how to approach
this.  First, to learn more about using Slides I would look through the
manuals that came with E-Prime, and browse through the Slide topic in
the online E-Basic Help (unfortunatley, I did not find any "Slide with
multiple states" sample on the PST web site, perhaps they could add
one?).  Then to really understand how to script this and how to invoke
the separate slide states, I would create a Slide with multiple states
and then look at the script that E-Prime generates for me.  In fact I
figure out a lot of things in E-Prime just by looking at the script that
E-Prime generates for me.

I have used a number of terms here that may be new to you (Iif,
SetAttrib, etc.), in general to learn more about these please look in
the online E-Basic Help.