tms pulse during video playing

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Sep 15 18:34:33 UTC 2009

Well, I discovered I made a mistake in this reply, once again
illustrating that no one should take my word for anything!  As it
turns out, E-Prime does have a mechanism for performing secondary
actions or script during sound playback, and perhaps even movie
playback.  I was only thinking about what happens with a SoundOut
object or sub-object placed directly in the structure.  But as
explained in the online E-Basic Help, you may do this with some
inline script.  In particular, SoundOut.Play will begin
*asynchronous* sound playback, i.e., the sound file "begins playing
and then program execution continues with the next object in the
procedure."  This would allow you to start your playback in script
and then go on to run more script to manage TMS pulses, etc. while
the sound continued to play.  By contrast, SoundOut.Run (which is
what happens when you just use the SoundOut object in the structure)
begins *synchronous* sound playback, i.e., "Run does not return until
the execution of all of the object is done."

One would think that the new MovieDisplay object would have similar
properties and methods to the SoundOut object, but so far PST has not
provided any documentation.  And we already know that MovieDisplay
lacks a Loop property, in contrast to the SoundOut object (see
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2772-12-1.aspx ), so I would not
make any bets.

Just wanted to correct the record, my apologies.