problem with short ISI

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 22 13:53:41 UTC 2009

Hi David, Susie,
On the second point, you might, if you are using a CRT screen, change
the resolution and refresh rate in your windows monitor options. In the
past, it happened quite a lot that discrepancies here between E-Prime
(1) and windows screen options would lead to refresh rates that were
different from what they were supposed to be. Check your edat file to
see what your refresh rate was during the experiment. Also, I don't
think ISIs of 10 ms with LCD screens are possible, if you happen to be
using that (the fastest refresh rates I've seen in that department were
around 70 Hz - 14ms), unless you want half of your screen refreshed at
some point.
Best
Mich

Susie,

Thanks for all the wonderful detail, I wish I had a good answer for
you!  Just a couple thoughts...

First, can you add a PreRelease to the first sound object?  That
might allow some time for your ISI blank screen to get set up (I
don't think the PreRelease on the second sound object does anything
for you).  Do keep the PreRelease on your ISI as long as
feasible.  (When I use PreRelease I usually go ahead and make it as
long as the Duration, or even longer, say 10000.  It doesn't seem to
matter (short of terminating with a response, etc.), which makes
sense if you think about what PreRelease really does under the covers.)

Second, as you remember from Chapter 3 of the User's Guide, take a
look at the Onset and Offset Sync of your ISI blank screen.  If you
sync with the vertical blank then you will have delays due to waiting
for the screen to refresh, so you may want to turn that off.  OTOH,
without syncing to vertical blank you may get brief visual artifacts
as your blank screen goes on or off.  Just an unavoidable limitation
of our current technology.