Introducing break

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 12:37:27 UTC 2009

It sometimes happens however, that your desired number of trials
inbetween breaks does not correspond with the number of trials in your
triallist (I took this code for instance from a task with 36 trials in
one triallist that is repeated 8 times, and I wanted breaks every 20
trials).

You can do the following:

at the end of the trailproc add three consecutive elements:
- an inline
- a slide or textdisplay that is 'the break'
- a label called skiplabel

The inline should contain the following code:
---------------------------------------
          trialcounter = trialcounter + 1

           if trialcounter mod 20 = 0 then

           else goto skiplabel
           end if
--------------------------------------
For this code to work you also need to paste the following " dim
trialcounter as integer " on the usertab of the scriptwindow (remove
the " s).
If you use one single triallist (I don't in this case) you can also
remove the first line (trialcounter= trialcounter +1) and then replace
trialcounter mod 20 by triallist.sample mod 20 (triallist being the
name of your triallist).

What it does: a trialcounter keeps track of the number of trials. If
the number of trials can be divided by 20 (so: 20, 40, 80, 100 etc)
then nothing will happen and the program will follow the proc. As the
inline is followed by the breakslide, the breakslide will show. If the
number of trials can not be divided by 20, e-prime will immediately
'goto' the skiplabel and as that is placed after the breakslide, the
breakslide will be 'skipped'.

Best regards,

liwenna