using old task on new computers

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 16 17:01:56 UTC 2010

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although latest
reports indicate more like 10 days) -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  3) If
you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy
of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take ...

Well, it would be an *extremely* poor software design that made
timing dependent on processor speed, and I have no reason to suspect
PST of such poor design.  Furthermore, using various versions of
E-Prime on various generations of computers and Windows for over a
decade, I have never seen any timing issues dependent on processor
speed (other than timing delays needed to produce complex stimuli,
but that cannot be helped).  As far as I can tell E-Prime properly
uses a variety of independent high-resolution clocks built into
Windows machines.

But ultimately you should not take my word or anyone else's word for
this.  You should simply run some timing tests for yourself
(preferably using an external time reference such as an oscilloscope)
and convince yourself one way or another.  That is a good exercise
and sound policy in any case.

"You got to test that piece of software, You got to test it for yourself,
No one else can test it for you, You got to test it for yourself."
(Apologies to the Fairfield Four)