Signal detection theory

Robert Ariel rariel at kent.edu
Fri Apr 16 19:25:35 UTC 2010

Tobias,

Computationally, C is the average of the your transformed hit and false
alarm rates.  You can see this in the equation you presented.  So, no doubt
if you have equal false alarms rates across conditions, differences in C are
resulting because of differences in hit rates.

Basically with equal false alarm rates, the condition with a higher hit rate
will always be more liberal.  If hit rates are equal, the condition with
higher false alarm rate will be more liberal.

Best,

Robert