is there a way to record the volume of a vocal response within Eprime itself?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:16:33 UTC 2010

Well, to start with, sound "volume" is a very fuzzy notion:  Does it
mean total integral power across the audio spectrum for the full
duration of a vocal response?  Does it mean spectral power sliced
into time samples, say for every 100 ms period?  And would this be
weighted for human auditory sensitivity?  Etc.

Beyond that, you face several technical hurdles, unless you can find
a machine that just does the job for you.  Offhand I would say that
you would have to have EP2 record the full sound from the
subject.  Then, after the experiment, you would run each response
sound file through an audio spectrum analysis program to calculate
whatever measure you like.  But you would still have to take account
of amplifications and attenuations introduced by your recording
equipment.  No small order!  OTOH, if you wanted merely *relative*
audio intensity rather than *absolute* intensity then that would
simplify matters a bit.

So the simple answer is no, I cannot see anyway to do what you wish
with E-Prime.