Wisconsin card sorting test

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 31 21:27:26 UTC 2010

For those of you who might not read beyond the first line:  I will
write a professional quality WCST in EP for no charge, if I can only
get a bit of help.  Read on if interested...

Well, despite the reservations I expressed earlier, on my own time I
went ahead and threw together a working skeleton in EP for the WCST,
just to flex my E-Prime muscles.  The basic control logic is really
quite simple, and with a couple of tricks (e.g., nested attribute
references) the E-Prime design is rather sleek.

I would like to complete this project to my usual professional
standards and then submit it for inclusion in the public STEP library
so that everyone can use it.  In short, I aim to make this no less
than a completely faithful computerized replica of the standardized
test, in EP.  But to do that I will need many more specific details
on the mechanics of the standardized test.  E.g., I have been told
that the standardized test presents the "response" cards in the same
pre-ordained sequence for each run, and I need to know that
sequence.  Also, if I can get hold of the scoring rules then I might
even have a whack at that, although I think it enough just to have
the program administer the test & record raw data.  (It would also be
nice if I could get someone else to do the card graphics, as I am
lousy at graphics -- I would need only 16 image files, not all 64,
since I know how to make EP change the colors.)  I should be able to
learn all I need from the official WCST Manual, with perhaps a look
at a printed card deck.  But a manual costs $115, and a card deck
$170, more than I care to spend for something that is, for me at
least, only a hobby project.

So here's the deal:  If any of you can help me get access to
materials that fully specify the mechanics of the test (ideally the
printed Manual and/or cards) then I will complete this project in
short order and you will all have a professional quality WCST in EP.