Neuroscan/E-Prime Buffer

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 09:34:24 UTC 2010

Hi,
One thing to add to what has already been said: are we talking about error: overflow, or error: buffer overflow?
The former is generally really simply helped, it tends to be caused by a variable defined as integer but then getting a long number assigned to it, for instance:
Dim a As Variant
Dim i As Integer
i = -32768
a = Abs(i)                                                       'Result is a Long.
i = Abs(i)                                                        'Overflow!
(from ebasic help)
That is, an integer can only have values assigned to it between -32768 and (+)32767, thus assigning Abs(-32768) [results in +32768) causes an overflow. This would explain your scenario as follows: you have, for instance, a cumulative reaction time (or the sum of RTs), which sooner (if participants are really slow) or later (if they aren't) causes the overflow by reaching higher than 32767. Personally, I often get this because I define a variable as integer and do constant clock.read (which gets the time in ms from the onset of the experiment). This causes an overflow after less than a minute.  Anyway, the error can usually be solved by defining the variable as long (or variant, but a curse rests on such ill-defined types) instead of integer.

The latter (buffer overflow) is presumably associated with your neuroscan setup, which, I would expect, uses serial port communication. I would have predicted that something like 'flushoutputbuffer' might have helped you, but, according to the help file:
"This function is reserved for future use.  Serial output communications are synchronous.  Data is always flushed from the output buffer after write operations are called."
Did the future come with E-Prime 2? Are you using E-Prime 2?

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow