Neuroscan/E-Prime Buffer

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Dec 1 19:23:56 UTC 2010

Jessica,

>Providing a script in this post would not be of much help because I
>get "Error: Buffer Overflow" in Neuroscan 4.5 with numerous E-Prime 2
>experiments. The E-Prime computer is connected via parallel ports, and
>the hookup with Neuroscan equipment and Neuroscan computer is a mix of
>serial and usb ports. I realize that the problem is most likely
>Neuroscan, but I have been in constant contact with our technician who
>tells me there is little he can do after upgrading the computers.
>Thus, I thought perhaps it is a common problem with E-Prime (not
>specific to any particular experiment, but the software in general).
>When Neurscan crashes E-Prime continues on, thus causing us to lose
>precious data.

Based on this description, I would say that EP works just fine, and
the fault lies entirely with Neuroscan.  So you will have to take
this up with the Neuroscan folks.

But if you want to pursue this a little further yourself, then try
the following exercise:  Disconnect EP from the Neuroscan
equipment.  Then run a mock ERP session wth the Neuroscan system.  I
bet that if you do this enough that you will still get the "Buffer
Overflow" error on the Neuroscan, even with EP removed from the
system.  That should satisfy you that EP contributes nothing to the
problem, and the fault lies entirely with the Neuroscan setup.

>Both computers that we use meet all requirements for both software
>packages, and were fully upgraded (RAM, video memory, etc) in the last month.

As to that, did the system work fine before the upgrades, and the
problem arose after the upgrades?  If so, then I would just remove
the upgrades.