Fixes for RB-530 driver problems with e-Prime 2.0

DGirard doug.girard at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 14:06:35 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I kept getting this error message (or something like it), when trying
to use the Cedrus RB-530 response pad with e-Prime 2.0 on Windows
Vista:

'Unable to open the SRBOX: 0x00000103
The SRBox Device Driver may not be installed'

Although I'm not sure if this is recommended practice, I was able to
resolve this issue by:

1. Running the SRBoxDriverInstallation.exe file on the E-Prime 2.0 CD-
ROM. It's under the /E-Prime folder. This installs a driver called
"PST Serial Response Box Driver" to Windows. The driver installed
should have the name: SRBoxDRv.sys
2. In Device Manager, Ports (COM & LPT) should have an entry of:
"Cedrus RB-x30 Response Pad (COM#)". If not, you may want to try to
update the Cedrus driver from their website. Visit their site for the
rbx30_driver_uninstall.zip file (http://www.cedrus.com/support/
rb_series/tn1059_mprog.htm). There are *.inf driver files in one of
the ZIP file's subfolders. After driver installation, make sure the
baudrate is 19200. Also, make sure this device has a COM port of 1, 2,
3, or 4.  Anything higher will not work with ePrime.  You can adjust
this under the Advanced settings in the driver properties. More about
that here: http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1045_usbport_win.htm
3. In Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, there
should be an entry of: "USB Serial Converter". If not, update the
driver using the ftdibus.inf file located within the
rbx30_driver_uninstall.zip file mentioned above (downloaded from the
Cedrus website).
4. Unplug the USB response pad. Start a reboot. While the computer is
rebooting, make sure the device pins (DIP switches) are in the
following position: 1=Up, 2=Down, 3=Down, 4=Down.  See:
http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1047_eprime.htm
5. AFTER Windows successfully boots and you login, THEN plug in the
response box (otherwise Windows may falsely detect it as a mouse
during startup).
6. Adjust the Experiment properties to ensure that the ePrime settings
are identical to the Device Manager properties, e.g. baudrate = 19200,
COM=1,2,3, or 4, etc.
7. Generate and run!

Basically, I think I did not do Step #1 and this screwed everything
up. For some reason the default installation for ePrime 2.0 does not
install these driver files.

Here are some other helpful resources I found during this ordeal to
assist with troubleshooting:
1. There is also an SRBoxTester.exe application which can confirm that
everything is in working order with the box. Google that.
2. If installation of the driver does not go as planned, you may want
to follow these instructions closely. They are strange, but in the
end, it may be the only way to get this working.
http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1059_mprog.htm
3. Some of the older devices (pre-2010) may need a firmware upgrade.
If nothing is working, you may want to try this. To do this, unplug
the device and set all of the pins to the DOWN positions. This places
the device in XID mode. Plug the device back in and download the Xidon
software mentioned on this page and follow the directions to perform
the firmware upgrade: http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1056_updating_firmware.htm

Hope this helps (and saves you the 3 hours it took me)...

- DGirard