SoundIn problems: "Unable to find sound capture device"

Nick F nickfraenkel at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 4 14:15:58 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to set up an experiment using the SoundIn object to record
participants' responses. The problem I'm having is that every time I
try to run or generate, I receive the following error message:

"A Fatal Error occurred while generating the initialization code for
the E-Object named 'SoundIn1'
Error Message: Unable to find sound capture device. Ensure that a
sound capture device is available."

I've tried with both an external USB audio-recording soundcard and the
computer's internal soundcard, and I get the same error with both.
There doesn't seem to be any problem with the soundcards: E-Prime's
SoundOut object will play without complaint using either card, and I'm
able to record audio input in software other than E-Prime.

If anyone has any experience of getting E-Prime to work with audio
input, I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to what might work.

Here is my set-up:

E-Prime 2.0.8.22 Professional / Windows XP
Edirol UA-25 USB soundcard

Many Thanks,

Nick