scoring a nonresponse as a correct answer

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 23 22:06:38 UTC 2010

Jim,

>I don't want to mess with pre-release because the
>scanner paradigm has already been used/validated by someone in my lab
>with 100ms prerelease on every object.

That 100 ms PreRelease is almost certainly an artifact of E-Prime
defaults, and not a deliberate choice on the part of your
developer.  When you switch an object from Event to Cumulative timing
mode then EP automatically imposes a default PreRelease of 100 ms,
and unless the developer edits that then that is what you get left
with whether it helps or not.

As an exercise, you definitely should try setting PreRelease to 0 and
then test the timing/sychnonization for yourself.  <rant>Even without
changes, you must personally shake down every program you use, I
don't want to repeat the horror story we had here a few years
back.  If it takes you half an hour to sit through a timing
verification run, then so be it, although with some cleverness you
can speed things up using Clock.Scale.  But in any case, you must,
MUST personally shake down every program you use.  I cannot stress
that enough.  And as long as you are shaking down that program, you
might as well try some changes and learn a few things.  Above all, do
NOT get into a rush -- as my own graduate advisor told me many years
ago, scientific research is a deliberative process and not a business
to be done in a rush.  Or have the times changed that much?</rant>