Compatibility with Windows 7

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jan 8 15:40:48 UTC 2010

Michiel,

Indeed, I still use Windows 98 on my home
desktop, works just fine for me.  And we kept a
Win98 machine for a long time in our fMRI
facility just for running E-Prime as part of
IFIS.  I have to disagree with you about Win98
security though, I ran Win98 both on campus and
off for a long time without firewalls and
suffered no problems while Win2000 & XP users got
hacked into -- I credit that to the *weakness* of
Win98, i.e., Win98 simply did not act as a server
out of the box and so did not make a good target for network hackers!

As to USB drives, those work as long as you can
install a Win98 driver for them as I have for
many.  Alas, manufacturers are making fewer Win98
drivers for their devices, so at some point I
will have to abandon Win98 just to use some new
gizmo.  More importantly, EP2 does not work with
Win98, and for all I know neither does
EP1.2.  But back to the original question, EP1.1
does work with Win98 and that would work for the original poster.

Cheers,