Skipped TextDisplay retains previous trial's .RT etc.

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 15:57:03 UTC 2010

Dear E-Prime group,

I am working on an E-Prime 2.0 experiment, with a procedure that
contains one or two response objects - display of the second one only
happens on some trials. The problem is that "old" trial data are
retained for those trials for which the second response is skipped. I'm
sure there's a simple solution but I've thought myself into a corner on
this one!

Here is a brief description of a toy version of the experiment which
exhibits the same problem:
We have a list Object which calls a single procedure including the
following main elements:

1. TextDisplay "Displayed every time" which appears on every trial, with
standard data logging.

2. Inline "Check for skip" - 40% of the time the second textdisplay will
not appear, instead setting a "Skipped" variable and skipping to a label
after the second text display.

3. TextDisplay "Displayed sometimes", with standard data logging.

4. Label "Skip second",

5. Inline "Cleanup" which uses c.SetAttrib to set DisplayedSometimes.RT
to -99 (and other such attributes/values) only if the Skipped variable
is set.

When the experiment runs, this works as desired, skipping the second
text display approx 40% of the time.

Our problem is in the data file. Assume that DisplayedSometimes occurred
on trial N, thus generating real RTs etc for that trial, and that
DisplayedSometimes was skipped on trial N+1 (and thus
DisplayedSometimes.RT should be -99). Instead, we find that the same
values are logged from the last time they were collected (e.g. if .RT
was 555 on trial N, it will appear as 555 for trial N+1, and so on until
DisplayedSometimes occurs again).

If we add a c.Log to the "Cleanup" inline, this creates two entries for
trial N+1 in the data file. The first entry contains our desired values
(.RT of -99), The second entry, however, contains values from trial N,
e.g. .RT of 555).

Is there any way to clear/flush the previous trial data from objects
like DisplayedSometimes in the example here? (or otherwise correctly
assign NULL or some identifiable "skipped" value like the example of .RT
= -99 to those trials)?

We have considered the possibility of calling two different Procedures
(one with a single TextDisplay and the other with both), but haven't
found a suitable solution as in our actual experiment, the decision to
skip or not is partially contingent upon the response made to the first.

I'd be grateful for any advice - can supply a toy version of the
experiment if my verbal description is confusing!

(I have submitted a request to PST support but thought I would risk a
concurrent submission to the group after seeing the "We are currently
experiencing a large volume of requests..." message on the support site!).

Thanks,
David

--
David Vinson, Ph.D.