timing error

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jan 14 21:55:00 UTC 2010

Tobias,

I just noticed in your post that started this thread you said that
you use vertical blank for both Onset Sync and Offset Sync.  In
general, for visual display objects I would set Onset Sync to
vertical blank, and Offset sync to (none), which is the default (I
leave it as an exercise for you to ponder why this makes sense).  But
if you instead used a Wait object for your ISI then, as Mich
mentioned, I might set both Onset Sync and Offset Sync to (none) and
then duration should work as expected.  Even then I would rather
follow Mich's further advice to either use a bit of inline script to
skip past the ISI, or use a separate Procedure without the ISI,
whenever the ISI duration is 0.  You might be surprised at how much
script will run in less than a millisecond.  As you read in Chapter
3, the real time bottlenecks are disk access (e.g., loading image and
sound files), display synchronization, and interruptions from the
operating system.  But don't take my word for this.  You can time
script yourself using the microsecond clock in E-Prime (see the Clock
topic in the online E-Basic Help).