randomizing list order and nested loops

melissa melissa.dewolf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 01:13:53 UTC 2010

I am trying to randomize my list of trials such that I have 8
different categories and then 6 examples within each category and 1
example from each of the 8 categories must be shown before the the
next set of examples in a random order.  Right now I have each of the
8 categories separated into different lists with the 6 examples in
each of the category lists.  Then in my trial list, I call each of the
8 categories once, in a random order.  Then, in my block list, I
weighted the block procedure 6 times.  However, when I ran it, for
some reason I got multiple trials with the same category in the first
block- I thought that if I selected "random" it does duplicate
trials.  Is this a product of the way I am weighting the list or
nesting it?  Is there a better way to organize the lists?

Thank you